If you like baking even occasionally, one thing that often breaks your heart is your pie or a cake you were very excited to eat getting burnt. Ovens are somewhat very unpredictable and to be on the safe side, you better be armed with an oven thermometer that you can calibrate and be sure your baking temperature is correct. No more being anxious about your dish being burnt or your Thanksgiving turkey giving you nightmares every year!
As with many devices and products nowadays, there are several oven thermometers on the market these days, so it can be tough to know which one to buy. In this blog post, I’ll be reviewing the best oven thermometer on the market, and giving you my thoughts on why it’s the best option.
What is an oven thermometer?
An oven thermometer is an indispensable tool you need in your kitchen if you’re serious about cooking. They measure the temperature of the area inside the oven, so that you can make sure it gets hot enough to cook food properly without any risk of undercooking or overcooking.
How Does it Work?
Oven thermometers are very simple devices that either contain a metal sensor or have something metallic plated on them. The latter method involves attaching a piece of foil to the device with the aim of creating an electrical circuit. When this is in place, you can put the oven thermometer in your oven and it will be able to measure the temperature inside – perfect!
What to Look for in an Oven Thermometer
There are many aspects you should consider when looking at a particular oven thermometer. Below, I list the most important factors to take into account:
- Ease of use: you want something which is very easy to set up and read. It shouldn’t require a lot of fiddling around with it to figure out how it works.
- Cost: understandably, the more expensive an oven thermometer is, the better quality materials and build it will have. However, you don’t want to break the bank either! In general, a well-known brand name device will be of better quality than cheaper alternatives. Also, remember that the more expensive something is, the better quality materials and design it will have, so a more expensive oven thermometer is likely to be better.
- Installation: You want to look for something which is fairly straightforward and doesn’t require too much difficult installation or use. The last thing you want is to not be able to figure out how it works, so make sure it comes with instructions if needed!
- Accuracy: The whole point of purchasing an oven thermometer is to make sure your oven is operating at the right temperature. It’s therefore vital that the device you choose is extremely accurate, so be aware of this factor when looking around.
- Warranty: Most of these products come with a warranty that protects against defects in workmanship or materials. If you have an issue with your oven thermometer, you want to know that these are covered by the warranty, so bear this in mind when making a purchase.
Reviews of the Best Oven Thermometers
I’ve reviewed a number of oven thermometers and found the one which is best for me. As I go through the various factors above, keep in mind that this was my choice and you should find something that suits your own needs when looking around at oven thermometers.
KT Thermo Oven Thermometer
Out of the several tests I conducted, the KT Thermo Oven Thermometer stood out from the rest. It is not only highly accurate but also has wide-ranging, easy-to-read temperature markings while coming in a compact size. What is more it? It comes with a two-year warranty!
The AcuRite 00316 Digital Instant Read Kitchen / Oven Thermometer
This oven thermometer is one of the best available and has an incredibly accurate reading, as well as great ease of use. The main thing which makes this such a good device is that it can be used to read temperatures both in your oven, as well as deep fryer and barbeque grills. This makes it very versatile and allows you to use it for a variety of purposes. It’s also fairly cheap too, which is great news!
The OXO Good Grips Digital Instant Read Thermometer
This oven thermometer has many features which make it stand out from other devices. Firstly, it has an incredibly accurate reading (better than most others I’ve found), and it also has the ability to switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius. Another good thing about this device is that it has a shatter-proof display which makes it very durable, even if you drop it.
The ThermoPro TP12 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer/Timer
This is an oven thermometer which has good accuracy and provides good value for money. It works by sending a wireless signal to a receiver, allowing you to keep an eye on temperatures from a distance away. You can put this in the room with your oven, and then carry it around the house while you go about cooking dinner!
The Lavatools Javelin Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer
This is a great oven thermometer which comes at a fairly low price. It has good accuracy and provides good value for money, as well as coming with a two-year warranty. This oven thermometer is also designed to be able to accurately measure the temperature of both meat and liquids, making it great for a number of different uses.
The Dual-Probe Digital Wireless Remote Oven and BBQ Cooking Food Meat Thermometer
This oven thermometer is designed to be able to monitor both your oven and barbeque grill areas, allowing you to cook food perfectly. It has good accuracy and comes with a two year warranty as well as being great value for money. It’s also easy to use and is designed to be able to monitor temperatures from far away distances, so you don’t have to place it in the oven if you don’t want to.
I hope that this article has helped you find an oven thermometer which fits your needs. I’ve reviewed the best oven thermometers in detail, so you should be able to find something that’s perfect for you. Good luck!